Sunday, July 17, 2011

Some Great Lakes Revisited

floating docks, Lake Huron, Michigan
       
I've been revisiting some of my Great Lakes photos as I have been working on my portfolio on 500px (you can view my portfolios as I add to them at jwight.500px.com). The one above, floating docks, was taken at Lake Huron in Michigan. I took this photo at the end of a very long day of traveling up the Lake Huron coast. It's a little busier than I usually like my compositions but I love the contrasts - light and dark, as well as the contrast between the geometric docks and the masses of clouds. The sun was perfect that day, so I was able to get some nice reflection of the docks off of the water.

The photo below, quiet superior, was shot as I was getting shot at! I had drive up Lake Superior Road just outside of Superior Wisconsin, and walked around the coast of Allouez Bay. There was a small boat on the water that I had assumed was carrying two men who were fishing. Much to my surprise though they started firing warning shots at me. It turns out that they were bird hunters and I was disrupting their hunting!

Luckily, I was able to get this shot off before I was too rattled to continue. It's a quiet shot of a sometimes stormy Lake Superior. The irony of the shot is that it is the quietest photograph I have taken of Superior in one of the unquietest of circumstances!


quiet superior, Lake Superior, Wisconsin

3 comments:

Sandy Pensoneau-Conway said...

these are really beautiful, Julie!

jwight said...

Thanks, Sandy! I'll let you know next time I am up by Lake Erie!

Sarah Chapman said...

These are awesome. I don't think I've ever seen the top one. More posts please!