Monday, January 17, 2011

Food and Weed

"Food and Weed" San Francisco 2010
Just like for most folks, the new year brought with it new resolutions for me. This is one of my resolutions - my first attempt at a photography blog. I thought it would be a nice complement to my website - a way to share pictures and stories that I normally wouldn't. We'll see... I've admittedly tried to blog before and failed miserably. My hope is that this will be a little more successful. I have no rules right now for what I post or when I post it - other than the obvious requirement of a photo. I'm looking at this blog as an opportunity to share photos that are uncharacteristic of my past work, experimental, trivial, or just easier to share in this format than on my website. (My website is cumbersome to update - I'm working on it though.)

I thought that this would be a good photo to start with because it really is uncharacteristic of my past photographs which are generally landscape or architectural in some way. I've thought about starting various portrait series at different points but this photo came as happenstance on a recent trip to San Fransisco. I am generally shy about shooting people - especially on the street - but these two were willing models and did not even need to pose! I rarely shoot photos so tightly in the frame (I usually like wide shots with a lot of negative space), but I think that it is inevitable for portrait work. I like the angle that the car makes in this photo, the skin tones, and the mood that is created by the different facial expressions that the two men display.

4 comments:

Catherine Schwalbe said...

Fantastic Julie! Allow me to be the first poster on the your first blog post... on this the first month of the new decade. Whew!
Keep it going woman. I am going to add you to my feed.
Cathi

Unknown said...

JULIE -
I love it.
Welcome to the world of blogging!
I know I was a little "blog resistant" at first... now I'm addicted. And hopefully you will be too. I can't wait to see more of the world through your lens!
Keep 'em coming.
Keep having fun!!!
GARY

Joanna Kramer said...

Looking forward to seeing more more more more!
-Joanna

Anonymous said...

Love the honesty of the subjects in this piece- the photo is right on in baring their honesty.