Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mission Street Psychic

"Mission Street Psychic" San Francisco 2010

Another post and another photo from San Francisco; I had taken quite a few pictures during my trip there so the next several posts will probably feature photos from the city. I had spent a long morning in the Mission District of San Francisco taking pictures of the colorful murals, the sidewalk markets, and the churches when I came across this storefront psychic. I was setting up for the shot and noticed that the psychic (or someone who worked there) was sitting in the entry way. She saw me framing the shot and kept herself partly shaded by the building. I liked the mysteriousness of her just peaking out from the doorway and the harshness of the light combined with the strong geometrical elements of the gate, sign, and window. I wish I had a chance to talk to her and get some stories but this photo will have to serve as the story in itself...

1 comment:

gnd said...

Fortunately the photo is the only story you need. :)

A wonderful shot, it will stand the test of time because there is nothing to anchor it to any era in particular. It is as interesting today as it will be 20 years from now. And I suspect, even 20 years from now, it could be mistaken for a photo from the 50s, or the week before. Her half-hidden self, reflections that are more "suggestion" than actual object, add a rich timelessness.